Friday, March 11, 2011

Remembering a Friend

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."- Albus Dumbledore

This morning I received the news that a friend passed away.

I wouldn't say he was a very close friend, but he was a friend nonetheless.  We worked together for the better part of 3 years, which because of the jobs that we had, meant that we saw each other nearly every single day for those 3 years.  And this friend made work fun. He was always there with a laugh, a smile, a hug; there to lend a hand; to be positive; to go along with jokes and games; to brighten your day without even trying.

I have so many distinct memories of this friend and even before he passed, I looked upon all of them fondly. . .  He once brought this amazing salsa to work.  It was so good that I immediately offered to trade him any baked good of his choice for a personal batch of salsa (I don't think either of us followed up on that).  I have a picture he took of me trying to take a nap in the middle of our BOH area, laying across 3 stools. He even warned new employees to just carry on and not mind me.  He would help out with my kid events and he was this friendly giant who was playful and amazing.  And he would never say no when asked to help, even if it everyone else would have.

I think he might honestly be the nicest person I have ever met.

Most of out of work socializing consisted of migrating down the street to the bars, celebrating when a co-worker moved on to a different job.  The last time we hung out was for my "going away" party back in October.  The big news was that he was going to be leaving soon to peruse his dream career.  I was so happy that he came and hung out with me and, after all the times listen to him talk about his dream, I was so happy that he was taking steps to realize those dreams.

I'm sure that he has closer friends who could memorialize him in a much more meaningful way, but this is all I have.  And I'm saddened by the fact that this is all I have.  I wish that he was a bigger part of my life and I wish that he had years and years to spread his joy amongst every who was lucky enough to know him.  I have no doubt in my mind that anyone who did know him will miss him dearly.  He was just one of those people.

So, here's to my friend, Josh Baugh.  Here's to his life and all the amazing memories.  Here's to you, Josh.  May you be at peace. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment