Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dear Readers, Meet Boyfriend.

Boyfriend and I have a running joke that we are each others Constants (see: LOST) and thusly, due to time travel, we have known each other for over 300 years.  If that's the case, Boyfriend and I re-met in the January of 2008.  We started dating in May 2009.  A lot happened in between.

Boyfriend is really super amazing, but I'm not sure he knows just how amazing he is.  That's one of the ways we balance each other out – I'm constantly telling everyone how amazing I am, and he would never do that.  He's kind of shy around people he doesn't know that well and hilarious and full of life once you get know him.

He plays guitar and he has an amazing voice, and yet, he lets me sing in the band because I asked him if I could.  Also, when we play Rockband he always high-fives me if I do OK on a song, but kisses me if I do really well.

He's a brilliant photographer (again, something he would never say and probably doesn't even believe).  When you look at a picture of yourself that he's taken, you think one of two things: "Goddamn, I didn't know that I could look so good – I should be a model"; otherwise it's, "Well, I'm picking my nose in this one, but damn the composition is spot on."

We can talk about anything.  Seriously.  And I don't just mean that in a sit-around-and-talk-about-your-feelings kind of way (which we do sometimes).  I mean, one time we had a 30 min conversation about sketchy ways to prepare french fries.  We might also have conversations that start out like this: "Who would win in a fight – Treebeard or The Whomping Willow?"
or "You know why ConAir is a good movie...?"
or "Ok, here's my problem with air conditioners..."

One time, I asked him, "You know that guy that was on that show that was on after that other show that was like live action Family Guy?" and he ended up figuring out that I was talking about Yes, Dear and Mike O'Malley.  He knows who I mean when I say things like, "He's the guy that's not on Law & Order: SVU" (answer: Elias Koteas who I always confuse with Christopher Meloni, but I digress).

He can quote Back to the Future and Christmas Vacation by heart and one Christmas he watched at least 15 minutes of Love Actually before he realized it wasn't a Mr. Bean movie.  He dressed up with me to see the last two Harry Potter films – and probably will do again for the last one.

He laughs so hard at videos of animals on the internet that I think he might die.  And I suspect that he is the target audience for 99% of memes.

He's oddly frightened of things that he thinks are "too big" such as large American flags, construction cranes, water towers… There's something about this that I find super cute and endearing.

He's fantastic at cuddling and can make a killer omelet.  He's not above taking silly pictures with fake mustaches – or creating fake Facebook profiles for pictures of us with fake mustaches.

He's the best.  I like him a lot, like a lot a lot.

And tomorrow is our 2 year anniversary.  

We're spending the afternoon getting a couples massage and then he's taking me somewhere for dinner.  I don't know where and I haven't a clue, but I am asking him every chance I get (even though I told him to surprise me.  I do this around Christmas time too, when I want to know what he got me).

It feels like we've been together longer and I'm sometimes surprised when I realize that it has only been two years.  It feels like a lifetime in the most wonderful way you can imagine.  From the very beginning he seemed so familiar to me, like he fit, and he felt safe, like home.  I wouldn't trade these past two years for the world and I look forward to more years like these first two. 



I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it


God only knows what I'd be without you...

– God Only Knows // The Beach Boys

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!! I can't wait to meet this guy tomorrow. (But don't tell him that, because that's a lot of pressure for a guy who's scared of big things.)

    ReplyDelete