Monday, August 22, 2011

Awesome August : Day 22

I met my friend Gordana when I was a computer trainer.  She started off as one of my students, but our lessons soon digressed into drinking tea, gossiping, and one time, driving her BMW Z3.  Gordana is one of those amazing souls that draws people to her.

Tonight we got to hang out for the first time in a long time.  We decided to make dinner and dessert at her place and since Gordana is a designer, she has this fabulously amazing home and kitchen.  As we got things ready, she poured us glasses of Kir Royale while we munched on peanuts and started work on a flourless chocolate cake that we dubbed a Megana Cake.


We had a beautiful dinner on her patio: salad with fresh herbs from her garden, chicken (for me), salmon (for her and Chaz), and corn on the cob.  There were laughs and stories and a debate over the best condiments for corn on the cob.


When dinner was finished we brought out the Megana Cake.  This cake is deadly – it's literally just chocolate, butter, sugar, and eggs.  It was actually a Paula Deen recipe that I found on Bakerella.  I figured the combo of Paula Deen plus flourless could do no wrong.  Boy, was I right!  I will be making this one again!



Because the cake was so strong, we also tested it with 3 different kind of preserves.  For the record I a) don't typically like preserves (or jams and jellies for that matter), and b) I believe in a separation of fruit and cake.  However, all 3 that we sampled were from places like France and Belgium, so I figured if I was going to try any these would be the ones.  The Plum preserves were too dark to do anything to the flavor; the rose hip preserves were mild but not really impressive; and the pomegranate-raspberry were sophisticated yet understated with just a hint of naughtiness...

Gordana will be out of the country for a month, but once she's back I'm sure I'll have another amazing evening to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment