Friday, August 5, 2011

Awesome Auguts : Day 5

Do you guys like road trips?

So often I get annoyed when I have to drive out of my way to go to a store or because plans are changed.  But road trips are different: you get snacks, you talk about crazy things, sometimes there's not even a destination.  One time, before Boyfriend was Boyfriend, he and I took a mini-road trip from Santa Cruz up HWY 1 to The City and we sang the whole way and stopped to take pictures with the dinosaurs and eat at the Taco Bell on the beach in Pacifica. 

But since my Dad and Stepmom moved out of the Bay Area a few years back, I've gotten to take more frequent mini-road trips out to visit them.  They're about 2.5 hours away, which is the perfect length of a mini-road trip. 

When I'm driving to and from work, I mostly listen to books on tape.  No, seriously.  It helps keep my road rage in check (along with my ironic thumbs up method).  Normally if I'm stuck in traffic I get angry and frustrated.  But when I'm listening to a book (and right now it's The Two Towers), it's like, oh good I get to hear another chapter.

I know a lot of people who save their books on tape for road trips, but that's just crazy!  You need music on a road trip.  Rocking, loud music.  Music that makes your wheels turn and makes you want to press down on the gas.  What you need is a good road trip mix.

  • Ramble On .. Led Zeppelin
  • Look What Happened .. Less Than Jake
  • Barracuda .. Heart
  • Crazy Train .. Ozzy Osbourne
  • Bright Spring Morning .. Suburban Legends
  • Romper Stomper .. The Transplants
  • Burn Baby Burn .. Ash
  • Ticket to Ride .. The Beatles
  • Suffragette City .. David Bowie
  • Bad Habit .. The Offspring
  • Run Like Hell .. Pink Floyd
  • Stuck Between Stations .. The Hold Steady
  • Paper Planes .. M.I.A.
  • Point/Counterpoint .. Streetlight Manifesto*

This is just a random selection of my ever changing "On the Road" mix that I update every time I take a road trip.  Between me and Boyfriend we could drive for days with an awesome soundtrack.  I also not so secretly hope that all of my road trips will be like this:



What are you favourite road trip songs?  What do I need to add to my collection.  Right now I have 199 songs in my playlist... What song should push it to 200?

*I tried to make another Grooveshark playlist, but it decided not to work for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment