Thursday, August 4, 2011

Awesome August : Day 4

Let's talk about nostalgia. 

When I was little there were three main shows that I watched religiously: Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, and My Little Pony.

Rainbow Brite was my absolute favourite of the three.  I have pictures of me in a Rainbow Brite costume standing in front of the Christmas Tree – like three or four years in a row.  And to this day, I refer to Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer on a regular basis.



Care Bears was the next best and just like Rainbow Brite the movies where the best especially the Movies I and II (and Care Bears in Wonderland which seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, but I still remember the songs).  Care Bears was always Bear's favourite and partially her namesake.



I feel like I should have like My Little Pony more than I did, but I think that it was only interesting to be because the girl who was friends with the Ponies was called Megan (and spelled wrong!).  And the movie – it had all the makings to be good: a oddly large cast, Flutter Ponies, and The Smooze.



My friend Kiwi gave me a copy of The My Little Pony Movie for Christmas a few years ago and let me tell you, it does NOT stand up to the test of time*.  Oddly enough Care Bears does a pretty good job and Rainbow Brite is still top-notch.

Have you guys heard about Teen Nick's 90's Are All That?  They're playing all those shows that I watched when I got a little older.  Besides Clarissa Explains it All, the three shows I remember the most are The Adventures or Pete & Pete, Salute Your Shorts, and Hey Dude!

It's funny, but these three shows from the 90's pretty much play out like my favourite shows from the 80's.

A few years ago I found The Adventures of Pete & Pete on DVD and it's everything I remember it to be and more!  If anything, the show actually got better with age – the story lines are smart and absurd, the acting is quality, and the guest star list is insane.  And it has Artie: The Strongest Man in the World!



And let's be honest – can you find anyone who doesn't know the words to the Salute Your Shorts theme?  I once tried to convince my friends to go as Anawanna campers for Bay To Breakers so we could push a keg in a canoe across San Fransisco.  Everyone loves Salute Your Shorts, even to this day.



aparently due to some law suit, I can't find the video for this...

But Hey Dude!? This show premiered 22 years ago, and I swear I remember liking it.  Or at least I remember watching it.  We found a DVD of the first season at Target the other night and watched the first few episodes.  Oh man, is it painful.  No one can act, it's got a single camera set up, and they apparently blew all their budget on the horses.  And the second –second! – episode is a battle of the sexes!  Ah, 1989 Nick... good for a laugh.




What did you love as a child that does not stand the test of time?

*Please note that I am NOT talking about the new My Little Pony youtube sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment